Losing weight is not an easy task, and whoever tells you differently is lying. It takes commitment, hard work, and, for many if not all, a complete lifestyle makeover.
If you’ve come here looking for quick fixes or a “Lose-10-kgs-in-10-days” kind of promise, then you’ve come to the wrong place. But if you want an insider’s guide on how to lose weight, keep reading.
Follow these steps to have a successful weight loss journey.
1. Calculate your Weight loss Calories using the TDEE Calculator. The Daily Calories you obtain in the calculator is the amount of Calories you need to consume on a daily basis to lose weight.
Hint: Choose 20% in the calculator. Because if you eat a deficit of 30% or more, you risk losing muscle mass or worse getting metabolically adapted (means your weight will stall).
2. Calculate your Macronutrient requirements using the Macro Calculator. And don’t fail to hit your target daily.
3. Check the Nutritional information on every food you eat, if you prepare your own food start weighing every ingredient using a kitchen scale. Here’s how to read Food labels.
Hint: If you don’t plan on investing in a Kitchen Scale, I can guarantee 100% that you are destined to fail.
4. Log the foods(everything that goes into your mouth) in a website like FitDay/MyFitnesspal and track the calories to make sure you are not exceeding your deficit calories. Here’s how to use Myfitnesspal.
Hint: Never use the calculators in those websites to calculate your Total Calorie Requirements as they won’t take your exercise intensity into account.
5. Join a gym and start working out by lifting weights(strength training), because lifting preserves muscles and promotes fat burning. Cardio is optional, do it on non-workout days. My suggestion would be to avoid cardio at the early stages of weight loss.
These are some good beginner’s workout programs, choose the one you like:
My personal favorite is Stronglifts 5×5 , it’s absolutely brilliant for beginners. Whatever question you may have, the answer is right there in their website, they also have apps for iPhone and android.
If you are an intermediate or pro-lifter then you might want to try a more advanced program like Layne Norton’s PHAT (Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training).
NOTE: You can skip this step if you are not concerned about muscle loss and just want to lose weight. But remember, if you don’t workout, the rate at which you lose weight will be considerably slow.
6. If you are still not experiencing weight loss or if your weight loss has plateaued then I suggest you to Read This. This article explains in detail about the various reasons that might cause your weight to stall or even go up.
7. And remember you are not different because unless you suffer from Hypothyroidism you belong to the vast majority of people who are trying to lose weight. So go start working your ass off in a gym right now, if you want to see yourself thinner down the lane.
These are the only steps you need to follow to have a successful weight loss journey. You will inevitably lose weight if you follow the above steps(including the links attached) to perfection.
But a word of caution, If you are a believer of all those typical nonsense like
- Eat 6 – 8 meals a day.
- Drink green tea to burn fat.
- Do 100 ab crunches daily to lose weight.
- Eat this miracle fruit to scorch fat.
- Cut down all sugars and carbs to lose weight.
they you can very well kiss goodbye to your weight loss goal.
If you have any more questions or doubts please feel free to post a comment at the bottom and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
PS: This article is about Weight Loss and not Fat Loss, there is a considerable difference between Losing Weight and Losing Fat (for more information on that please read this article, Weight Loss vs Fat Loss).